Friday, August 2, 2013


Well, well, well...

It's been quite a while since I've written a post. We've had quite a bit of excitement around here. Baby boy #3 was born 8 weeks early and life has been a whirlwind of doctor's appointments, diapers, and sleepless nights. That's all expected with a new baby though and I wouldn't change it for anything. Especially since he's let me watch 6 seasons (so far) of Charmed on Netflix. The power of three!

I never got to have my blessingway or baby shower. He decided to come the week before it was all scheduled. I kind of felt like I got gypped in a way. The one thing I really wanted (aside from a beautiful, healthy baby, of course) was a power necklace, full of beads empowered with positive thoughts from my friends and family, for me to wear during labor. I should have remembered that nothing usually goes as you want it to when it comes to having a baby. I did get a healthy baby though, who only had to stay in the NICU for 10 (veeerrrry long) days.

My tradition of Greek God names for my family may have to be slightly broken for this little guy. I'll be referring to him as "Phoenix". That's his actual middle name and it fits him very well.

A phoenix is a beautiful Greek mythological bird that lives for a very, very long time. It gets old, bursts into flame, and from the ashes of the bird is born again.

In October I found out I was pregnant, on Samhain I had (what I thought was) a miscarriage. I won't go into the gory details, but it was to the point that my husband and I had a burial and a little ritual for our "lost" babe. Come to find out, at a confirmation ultrasound two weeks later, he was still alive and kickin'. Well, not kicking at that point since he was still a little blob, but he had a heartbeat that we hadn't seen in the previous ultrasound! We kind of felt like he rose from the ashes of my womb. Then he decided to make his entrance into the world early. He was expected to stay in the NICU for 2 months, but this little guy is a fighter and left the NICU after 10 days. I cried when I got the phone call to bring him home.

He was so delicate and tiny when he came home, weighing in at 5 lbs, that we were afraid to do anything with him.

He his now very active and we're not as worried about him. He finally smiled for us last week and his brothers love him to death.

We will soon have a Wiccaning for him, but we need to get settled into our new home first.

Check out my awesome babe...

Phoenix in the NICU hooked up with oxygen and an IV, 8 weeks before his due date:

 My big 13lb, happy boy. 1 month after his actual due date.

1 comment:

  1. What a blessing! I haven't heard much of the necklace you described but now I want to know more (I'm not yet a mother though we've been trying). The wonder of browsing blogs at oh'dark 30 at night.

    Bright blessings!