Friday, September 28, 2012

Bandits in the Night



Well, as Owen Wilson said in Starsky and Hutch, “We was robbed. We was robbed.”

All I could hear in my head was that quote when I was surveying the damage caused by the people who broke into our house. I have this odd malfunction in my brain that makes light of most situations.

At 6:45 a.m. Wednesday morning, I was awoken by Athena knocking on my bedroom door. She frantically told me that we had been robbed. I ran downstairs to see that our living room TV, game systems, video games, some movies, a laptop, her debit cards, and a few other things were stolen. The kids were already awake and we looked at each other in disbelief. Athena, the only one of us living downstairs, was the most upset because the thieves had actually gone into her bedroom to steal things while she was asleep. They took things that were lying two feet from her. While Athena and I waited for the police and Adonis to arrive, the kids were sent upstairs to play.

All in all, they took about $2500 worth of stuff and I was very glad that it was only “stuff” that was taken. They had come in through the window of our living room, which had been left open a crack so that we wouldn't have to run the A/C. Our living room is behind the fence on our property, so we thought we would be safe from would-be thieves if this one was opened. Unfortunately we were wrong. Our dog, Frosty, had started barking, but since this is an hourly occurrence I actually shushed him and went back to sleep (in the morning I did apologize and gave him lots of love).

Footprints from the Thieves

I started to think about what would have happened if Athena, the kids, or the animals had been hurt or taken. What would I have done if I had gone downstairs while the thieves were there? The scenarios raced through my head.

Would I have grabbed the sword from my closet and gone on a rampage, swinging and stabbing away?

Would I have stood there and screamed?

Would I have done what you only hear of the saintliest people and told them that I forgive them because they obviously need the money from these things badly enough to risk endangering themselves and my family?

I know that Athena and Adonis would have opted for rampage. I am a very non-confrontational person and most likely would have screamed for Adonis. I’m still shaking my head as I type at the fact that this even happened to my family.

This is going to be a lesson for everyone and is a great opportunity to teach good values to the kids. We will reassert that not only does stealing hurt people financially, but also emotionally. Not one of us feels safe in the home anymore. We are also teaching the lesson of forgiveness and understanding. Don’t get me wrong, I believe these people need to be brought to justice because of what they did, but holding angry feelings toward the thieves or wishing ill-will can undoubtedly bring more negativity upon a person. Holding onto a lifetime of hate or anger will just breed more hate and anger.

In the days and weeks to come, my family will take extra precautions to ensure the safety of our family. Doors and windows will always be locked now, instead of letting the cool night air flow through the house. Lights will be left on at night. The electric bill will suffer because our home was violated. 

In addition to those physical things though, our family will take some extra precautions using our pagan beliefs. Witch Bottles are something we will construct with our kids over the coming weekend to help ward off any potential harm. They won’t be made to reflect harm back on those wishing us harm. These Witch Bottles will be more focused on taking negative thoughts or energy directed toward us and transforming them into positive energy.

Some day we will all feel safe again. I just hope that it's sooner rather than later. 

Blessed be.

P.S. For those of you wondering which Starsky and Hutch quote I was referring to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3HMBjh8FZw&noredirect=1
It’s about 3:30 into the clip.

No comments:

Post a Comment